Yellow Milk and the magic of Turmeric
As winter sets in, we recover from our big meals and celebrating, and we start reaching for those warm comfort drinks, try this alternative that not only warms the heart but is full of powerful ingredients that can be good medicine for the body.
One of the key ingredients is Turmeric. Turmeric is one of those spices that you may associate with Indian or Asian dishes, but the medicinal roots go much deeper than that. Turmeric has been used medicinally for thousands of years in multiple cultures. It has been shown to be a great source of iron and manganese, as well as Vitamins B6, fiber and potassium.
Turmeric has been shown to be anti-inflammatory, a super antioxidant, as well as anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. It benefits health concerns related to arthritis, IBS, liver function, cholesterol, cancer, and Alzheimer’s to name of few.
All of these medicinal uses aside, the taste can be warm and peppery and when combined with other spices such as ginger, black pepper or clove can rival the best comfort foods we know.
A new favorite in my household is what we call Yellow Milk. There are many variations available depending on your personal taste. The great thing is that there is no wrong way to enjoy this beverage and the benefits to your well being are worth your efforts.
- In a sauce pan on low heat warm your milk (you can use your favorite milk product, I like coconut.)
- You can chop some fresh turmeric root and ginger as your base and add that to your milk. If you want to be really fancy you can mull them together with a little ghee to make a paste. Powdered spices work as well but I find those a bit harder to strain.
- Throw in a couple of peppercorns. The black pepper contains piperine which can increase the bio-availability of the turmeric.
- Get creative and add cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg, or whatever combination of spices you prefer.
- Let these simmer for about 5 minutes. Strain the yellow goodness into your chosen vessel.
- Add a little honey or jaggery to sweeten if you would like.