Happy Spring! You have probably heard about eating the rainbow, and creating a rainbow on your plate, and not the Blue #1, Green #3, Red #40, and Yellow #5. I am talking about fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs that provide carotenoids and flavonoids, the phytonutrients that are essential for optimal health. Below are a few helpful suggestions to add to your plate:
· The Power of Red-Tomatoes, pepper, watermelon, cranberries, pink grapefruit – contain lycopene and anthocyanin. Anthocyanins have a long history of use in traditional medicine, in the treatment of microbial infections, vision disorders and diarrhea.
· Yellow/Orange – Carrots, winter squash, sweet potatoes, turmeric, apricots, citrus fruits, mangoes – contain beta-carotene and are abundant in vitamin C, and vitamin A.
· Go Green – Leafy greens, broccoli, parsley, avocado, kale, kiwi, and pistachios. Are high in Vitamins K, B, and E, and contain lutein, flavonols, and antioxidants, which help eye health and reduce inflammation.
· Try a little Blue/Purple- Blueberries, blackberries, eggplant, plums, and grapes. Blueberries are abundant in antioxidants and improve prostate health, and contain anthocyanin.
· White - Though it doesn’t show up on the color wheel, a number of white foods such as white onions, garlic, and leeks add nutrients in in our daily intake. White represents allicin, a sulfur-containing compound that protects against atherosclerosis.
Start your day with this delicious smoothie packed with nutrients:
· 4-6 oz of Unsweetened Almond Milk
· Handful of Spinach or Kale
· 1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds
· 2 Scoops Unsweetened Protein Powder (20 -30 grams) including pea, rice, or whey protein
· Add ¼ cup of berries and ½ of a banana
· Add all ingredients into a blender, blend and taste the rainbow!