Latest Research on Acupuncture and IVF
It’s very exciting to see that the success of Chinese Medicine is attracting more and more attention by advanced western research. A recent study published in the BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (BMC Compl Alternative Med) challenged the effectiveness of Acupuncture to improve CPR (clinical pregnancy rates) and LBR (live birth rates) of women undergoing IVF. It detailed data from 27 different studies with 6,000 women undergoing IVF. Click here to read the article: (https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-019-2523-7). It was found that Acupuncture increases the success rates of both CPR and LBR for women undergoing repeat IVF cycles d/t a poor response (from either egg quality issues, endometrial receptivity, or unknown factors).Those success rates were even higher for women who underwent more than 2 treatments prior to the day of FET (frozen or fresh embryo transfer).
In TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) we treat issues of fertility by:
● harmonizing the interrelationships and function of the internal organs
● clearing obstructions
● improving the qi (strength and smooth movement of the body’s internal energy)
● Improving the blood supply (both volume and proper circulation) within the uterus and surrounding
● improving the health and quality of the eggs
● improving the receptivity and vital health of the endometrium.
We have many western medical studies that reveal Acupuncture’s ability to:
● stimulate ovulation by adjusting a woman’s endocrine function of the HPO (hypothalamic-pituitary- ovarian) axis
● improve egg quality, improve blood circulation to the uterus and ovaries by inhibiting uterine central sympathetic nerve activity
● improve the endometrial receptivity
● reduce infertility-related stress and depression by positively impacting changing the stress hormones serum cortisol and prolactin
Hopefully there will be more studies done, of this caliber, to continue investigating the relationship between Acupuncture and the varying parameters of the IVF population worldwide.
At ilumina Healing Sanctuary we are well aware of the benefits of Chinese Medicine for our fertility patients, particularly for those who’ve had poor response in the past. With whatever methods of family planning that are utilized, we rejoice as a clinic in the positive impact our medicine is making for our community and we love to see evidence that shows the world the same thing that what we are seeing in our clinic everyday.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine may be suitable for you on your own journey with fertility, with any questions or to schedule first appointment please contact us at 602-957-2602.