ARE YOUR CLEANING PRODUCTS SAFE, HEALTHY AND GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
- What are the active ingredients? Usually antimicrobial pesticides which are not healthy and to be avoided.
- Is it biodegradable? Will break down in the environment into harmless substances. This is a good thing.
- What does “anti-bacterial” really mean and is it actually safe? It means that it contains pesticides and is not safe. Avoid these.
- What are chlorine free bleach alternatives and why is that important? Chlorine bleach is irritating and corrosive. Bleach alternatives are less irritating and less corrosive.
- Is it combustible or flammable? Easily ignited and can burn. Avoid.
- Is is corrosive/ caustic or able to cause damage? This can cause serious chemical burns.
- Does it have a green seal for the environment? Independent third party certification for environmental safety.
CLEANING SUPPLIES AND HEALTH EFFECTS
- Fumes from products can contribute to respiratory problems.
- Many common cleaning products can contain carcinogens. This means they are cancer causing or contributing.
- Elevated risk of birth defects
- Chemical burns, poisoning, allergies, or other severe reactions.
- Most cleaning product labels do not give clear information about ingredients and whether the product is safe or not.
Sources and more information:
ewg.org guide to non-toxic cleaners